Friday, July 20, 2007

The Basics

My bio: I was born in Hartford, Connecticut to a deaf mother and hearing father. I went to American School for the Deaf until I entered the mainstream program at Braeburn School. Upon moving to Maryland at age 11, I enrolled into Maryland School for the Deaf where my love of literature, drama, and politics flourished.

Choosing to go to Gallaudet University for my undergraduate studies was one of the best choices I ever made in my life. I got involved with a dance troupe called Hypnotic Wings, wrote articles for the Buff and Blue, and became a class president. I was also a media spokesperson for the Unity for Gallaudet movement and in the subsequent aftermath of the protest, gave educational speeches at universities on both coasts of America. Currently majoring in Government and having English as my minor, what drew me to working at Student Body Government was my passion for advocacy and activism. I will be holding the position of Director of Community Relations at Gallaudet SBG and will be working with President Davila’s Shared Governance work group for the 2007-2008 school year at Gallaudet University.

This blog is exclusively a travel blog. Therefore, it will not cover my life in DC except in comparisons, flashbacks, or in context of a subject discussed.

This blog is for general reading, but mainly it's for family and friends. Which means my grandparents may be reading this, as might younger sibling and cousins. So keep the comments appropriate, please.

I will include excerpts that best illustrate the place where I'm visiting from a variety of sources, such as books, movies, newspaper articles, published photography, and more. I will try my best to cite everything and it’s never my intention to plagiarize anything that is not by me.

I might also include reviews of books and movies that I've seen during my stay. And commentaries on current news, politics, whatever happens during my time abroad.

Even though my perspective might either be evocative or scathing, I always try to remain open minded. Still, Washington DC is the city that I practically grew up and I currently go to a university there (Gallaudet). I might get sick of the good ol’ place sometimes, but it still has a firm standing in my heart as my beloved home city. No place I travel to, as fabulous as it is, will ever replace Washington DC.

Best regards from abroad,

Leah